I suspect most of you know this already, but for those who don’t: Melissa and I have started writing down our thoughts about management and leadership in tech in a new Medium publication called The Co-pour. We’ve got a few dozen posts up already, covering promotions, firing, and several other areas we’ve seen new leaders struggle.
We have more in the works but here’s the current list, in case you’re curious:
- Are Strong Values Destroying your Company?
- How Fucked Up is Your Management?
- How to Kill your Startup’s Referral Pipeline in a Single Interview
- Valley Extraction — How to Hire Senior Talent Away From Silicon Valley in Four Easy Steps
- Bullies, Bylines, and That Other B Word
- Why More Companies Don’t Do Remote Work (and probably shouldn’t)
- Big Lies, Little Lies, and the Cheat Code to a Promotion
- You Can’t be What you Can’t See
- How to be a Better Leader In 4 Badly Drawn Charts
- Your Diversity Problem isn’t the Pipeline’s Fault
- How I Talk to Leaders about Firing People
- Why it is a mistake to hire super heroes
- Unlimited Vacation and Other Forms of Guilt-Based Management
- The tech mechitza
- Why it’s a Mistake to be a Startup Superhero
- Privilege, illegal interviews, and burning curiosity
- You Won’t Brilliant Your Way Out of This
- Is it Worth Your Time to be Excellent?
- A Brief Overview of Failing, Firing, and Scotch
- Maternity Leave — an American in Canada
- Family Planning While Working in a Startup
- Stuck — How Leaders Get Trapped, and How to Save Yourself
I’m not shutting this place down, it’s still where I’ll write my letters to the girls, and anything else that feels right. But the organizational leadership stuff feels like a chunk of work that can live in its own place. And the collaboration with Melissa makes it important to me that it’s a place we built together.
Anyhow if that’s a thing you’re interested in following, and you haven’t found us over there yet, I hope you’ll take a look. Leading people is hard work, and we want to help where we can.